Thursday, May 26, 2011

When is enough...enough?

I am asking myself that question right now as I take a quick break after planting up some pots on the deck.  I told myself, just 2 pots of geraniums, that's all I need on the deck...and of course, I should have a couple pots on the porch by the front door, and my ladder with the buckets, of course.  Well, I had a few petunias in addition to the geraniums I purchased, so I potted up a cute little tea pot, (inspired by a customer of mine)...and then I found the enamel child's potty that became used for more petunias....and of course I had to plant some in the coal bucket and take out the winter greens.  Then I realized that I had this cool rusty pan, so I transplanted a few hens & chicks for a table-top garden.  With a few more geraniums and petunias left and I decided to plant up a mailbox to put by the garage as a warm greeting.....so you understand why I ask myself the question...when is enough....enough?
It really hit me when I discovered myself in the middle of a project I didn't feel quite right about.  While planting on my deck, I kept eyeing the bittersweet vine that grows on our back stairs.  This is a very old, established plant that has 3 inch vines at the base.  I'm sure the plant is at least 30 years old.  A few years ago when I stained the deck and stairs, I was pretty hard on it and broke quite a few of the vines.  It has not been healthy since and even though I've trimmed it a few times, it still has not generated any bittersweet.  Last week it leafed out and I noticed how much dead wood was really on it.  Yikes, I'd better get the clippers and get after it now while the leaves are still small.  Well, put a clippers in my hands and all the shrubs and trees in the vicinity shudder in fear.  I started in on the job at the top and kept clipping all the dead vines.  Halfway down I was reminded how much my husband hates that vine.  Mid summer we usually have to fight our way through the vine jungle to use the stairs.  I kept at my job, aggressively, I might add.  By the time I got to the bottom, I had very little left.  Now, I'm feeling a little guilty.  Have I doomed any chance of survival?  Was that the plant screaming or just my guilty conscience?  Do hairdressers ever feel like this when they know they've cut too much?  So, my question is, why don't I ever know when enough is enough until it's quite enough?  

No comments: