Monday, May 30, 2011

I Pledge Allegiance To The Flag

Happy Memorial Day!

This morning I woke early, got the coffee going and sat down to start making my list of everything I want to get done in the next week....Or should I say I reprioritized everything from my previous lists into a more realistic list.  With only one light shinning on my workspace and the rest of the house dark, it was quiet, and peaceful.  Rain was announced with distant thunder, then the pitter-patter of light drops gently falling on our red tin roof.  Outside was a multitude of shades of green leaves that had just burst open on the trees in our back yard.  Soon the rain began to fall harder, and my quiet was replaced with a roar of rain, swelling, then decreasing, then another crescendo, then repeating the process again and again.  Nature's symphony at it's finest.  And so it was in this setting my thoughts turned to today.  Memorial Day...it's a day for parades, flag waving, poppies...but what is the reason?  Do you remember?  I googled "Memorial Day" and was reminded that it is the day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.  How lucky we are to have those souls that step forward to serve and protect our way of life. 

I also was reminded that it was originally called Decoration Day.  YES!  I definitely like that line of thinking!  Let's decorate!!!  Yesterday was a flurry of projects in the Checkered Past workshop.  I'm of course thinking of decorating for summer living... and July 4th!  Anything and everything is getting the red, white & blue treatment.  My biggest project is my wood folk art flag.  I made one for myself about 5 years ago.  I've always intended to make more, but they are so large (48" X 21") and heavy, and time-consuming to make.  But what better way to make a statement that Old Glory will forever wave!  My primitive version of the flag is for sale at Checkered Past.  And, I am willing to take orders for anyone who misses this one!  Contact me via facebook, email or stop by the shop and fill out an order form. 
Checkered Past is open June 2-5, 9-11, 17-18 & 24-25.  Hours are Thurs-Sat 10 am to 6 pm and Sunday 1-4.
Kathy





No comments: