Thursday, November 3, 2011

Angels Light The Way....

Well here we are...a few days away from the shopping frenzy of the year!  This weekend marks the beginning of "Deer Hunting Weekend" where you can find at least a dozen craft shows and special holiday savings in all the shops.  Also, the FIRST FRIDAY of the month in Grand Rapids means the downtown stores are open late, offering a chance for strollers to take in food, music and shopping at some of the stores downtown.
So, in preparation for the Holiday's my workshop has been busy!  I've been busy creating folk art ornies, salt dough gingerbread boys and scented apples to hang on your Christmas Tree.  And of course drying flowers from my garden to add to my potpourri.  I also found some antique dominos and decided to make some ornaments that would be a fun addition to a tree.  And for some reason, I decided to make a lot of Americana Ornies this year, it just seemed that kind of year...(must be all those political ads appearing way too early...)  Stars with antique buttons and flag pockets, great for tucking little gifts inside!
Of course, I've also been on the hunt for a couple months for primitive antiques for holiday decorating.  I found the cutest little trike, a minature little red wagon, and of course a variety of skiis and sleds.  Also, I stumbled upon a glorious new blue cupboard (now in the shop!) and an unusual bittersweet stepback cupboard that I absolutely love.  As I spent a day scrubbing them, I realized I just couldn't sell the bittersweet cupboard.  It is very unique, with it's rusty metat countertop, it's unusual curved lines on the top, bottom and sides.  Someone had spent a lot of care to craft it and with a little more care from me it will be a true gem.  The Angels were Lighting the Way!  But now the hard part, nothing can come into my house without something going out.  I started looking at my other cupboards with a critical eye...no not the blue one, I'm going to be buried in that one....no not that 2 door red
one, it's perfect for my quilt collection....and then my eyes fell on this pretty little oxblood cupboard.  I've had it for over 30 years.  It is time to pass it onto someone else.  Out with the old, in with the older!  So now this pretty little one-door oxblood cupboard is for sale and all gussied up for the holidays. 
The first 2 Saturday's of November my friend Michelle will join Checkered Past at the "A Touch of Class" craft show at the Sawmill Inn.  Open from 8 am to 4 pm.  Michelle makes the most wonderful felted wool ornies, you won't want to miss!

Checkered Past and Lillian's open beginning today, Nov 3,10-6, Friday, Nov 4, 10-7, Saturday, Nov 5, 10-6 and Sunday, Nov 6, 12-4.
Also open November 10 -12, 18 & 19, 25 & 26, all from 10 am to 6 pm. 
Let the Angels Light The Way!



No comments: