Friday, April 1, 2011

A Sure Sign Of Spring...

 A sure sign of spring for me is one event....always has been and always will.  And that is the sound of baby chicks peeping under their heat lamps.  When I was little you could always hear the sound in the Post Office.  Chicks delivered through the mail, which would NEVER happen now!  That was before UPS, or Federal Express and before Fleet Stores in every town.  Now, I see a sign out by the highway announcing the sure sign of spring..."CHICK DAYS ARE HERE!!!"  The sign directs you to my local Fleet Farm store, in our town it's the L & M.  It is an event that I think any young child should have.  What a wonder to see these fuzzy balls of yellow stepping all over themselves to drink water and sleep under the warm glow of the heat lamp.  Here I've posted a picture, but if you go to my facebook page, you can see the video I shot yesterday and actually hear them for yourself.  OK, call me wierd to record this event, but with another winter storm forcast...I needed all the evidence I could get that spring is on it's way.
Last week I picked pussy willows, another sign of spring in my eyes.  Those fuzzy little kitties would brighten any day, and I've paired them up with colorful sap buckets in spring colors.  Yes, you can buy these at my shop!



I've also added a few more spring and Easter items to Checkered Past, like this vintage 30's metal toy bunny and cart.  I've had this in my collection for more years than I care to admit...I think it's time to pass it on to someone else, don't you think?  And check out all the bunnies I've been making, and also of course the true sign of spring...baby chicks...Hope you enjoy our next winter storm.  I'll be on a plane to Colorado to watch my son compete in the USASA National Snowboard Competition.  Sure hope the snow stays in Minnesota!  Check my facebook for status updates regarding the competition!

Checkered Past and Lillians will be open Thursday-Sunday, April 7 -10 and Thursday-Saturday, April 14-16.  Hours are Thursday, Friday, Saturday 10-6 and Sunday noon -4.


No comments: